GS Yuasa Corporation (Tokyo Stock Exchange: 6674) today announced that a wind power storage system that it delivered to the Hagigaoka Water Treatment Plant in Wakkanai City, Hokkaido, went on line in March 2022. The power storage system utilizes lithium-ion batteries with a total capacity of 2MWh. The Wakkanai City government is using the wind power storage system as a part of a project aimed at creating models for local production and consumption of renewable energy.
The use of power storage systems helps to even out discrepancies between the volume of wind power generated and consumed, and also helps to stabilize “self-consignment system”* supply and demand in the power grid. Utilizing the self-consignment system makes it possible to supply power generated from renewable sources to widely dispersed sites, and achieve local production and consumption of renewable energy and utilize it more effectively.
Participants in the self-consignment system are, however, required to estimate in advance the volume of electricity to be generated and consumed and submit a plan outlining the volume of electricity to be sent through the grid. Penalty fees apply if actual volumes deviate from the anticipated volumes. Power storage systems help users to avoid such penalty fees because generated power can be stored in batteries if volumes exceed the volumes in the plan, and can be discharged from the batteries into the grid when volumes fall below the volumes in the plan.
GS Yuasa will continue to contribute to the stabilization of power supplies through expanding sales of power storage systems. By helping to facilitate grid supply and demand adjustment, GS Yuasa is also contributing to the achievement of Japan’s target of achieving carbon neutrality by 2050.
* The self-consignment system makes it possible for companies, local governments, and other organizations with their own electricity generation facilities to send the power they generate to their own distantly located bases via the power grids of regional electricity network operators.
Features of power storage system
1. High level of safety ensured as voltage of all cells can be monitored and temperatures of all modules can be controlled
2. As the modules are fan-less, malfunctions are less likely to occur and the number of parts requiring replacement has been substantially reduced
3. Modules housed in fire prevention ordinance compliant cubicles in accordance with relevant laws and regulations
4. Able to withstand severely cold climatic conditions
GS Yuasa’s support services
GS Yuasa conducts constant management of the voltage of all cells in the power storage system and constant monitoring for malfunctions to ensure overall system reliability. Should a malfunction occur, GS Yuasa is able to respond through its existing nationwide service network.
Overview of power storage system
|Battery type||Lithium-ion batteries|
|Dimensions||Housed in W 2,300mm × L 9,000mm × H 2,800mm containers|
|Number of containers||4|